How to play (basically)
- circle rules football is played on a circular field (~50 meters diameter) with one goal in the center (2 or 4 meters wide, 3 meters tall), and a circle rules gameball
- Each team scores through opposite directions of the same goal
- Players can touch the ball with any part of their body so long as they do not hold it with two hands or trap it against their body.
- Around the goal there is a circle called the ‘key’ (6 or 8 meters diameter). Players cannot touch the ball inside the key
- KEY VIOLATIONS (offensive, defensive, and with goalkeepers):
- If a player on the defense touches the ball inside the key, the opposing team takes a penalty shot, a direct kick 10 meters from the goal, with all other players remaining on the opposite side of the midline until the ball crosses the midline (like a free throw).
- If a player on offense touches the ball inside the key, the opposing team gets an indirect kick from the spot of the foul.
- In a goalkeeper game only the goalies are allowed inside the key. There are no penalty kicks, but any player who touches the ball inside the key (on offense or defense) is suspended from play for one minute.
- When playing with five or more players per team, each team is allowed only one goalkeeper inside the key. These goalkeepers may not score for their own team, but may defend.
- Goalkeepers (when applicable) have full open-hand contact with each other within the key. Striking, grappling, and contact above the neck is prohibited. (Think of it like boxing out in basketball or offensive line in American Football)
- Contact between players (goalkeepers excluded) is minimal. ‘Go for the ball, not the player’.
- When a goal is scored, the scoring team starts inside the key, and kicks off in any direction they choose. They may not leave the key until the receiving team has touched the ball.
- An Official game is typically played in four, fifteen minute periods, but you can just play to ten...
For the complete rules in a fancy PDF, tell us a little about yourself and download a free rulebook below: